Situated on the border of the South Luangwa National Park, Zambia, Thornicroft Lodge can be reached by scheduled air flights and by road via Chipata.
Thornicroft is an intimate and charming Zambia safari lodge set right on the banks of the river in the Luangwa Valley. The main gate to the South Luangwa National Park is a 5 minute drive away. The nearest airport is in Mfuwe. Guests arriving by air will be met and transferred to the lodge via an interesting 40 minute drive.
Thornicroft Lodge offers an idyllic setting on land between the Luangwa River and the lagoon. The river is a great spot for viewing wildlife at the water’s edge, as is the lagoon where a range of bird life can also be seen.
Directions to Thornicroft Lodge, South Luangwa, Zambia
Guests can fly to the airport at Mfuwe from either Lusaka or Livingstone (great for Victoria Falls combinations) on scheduled flights, where they will be met and transferred to the lodge (40 minute drive).
Road transfers can be arranged from Lusaka or from Lilongwe (Malawi), but it is quite straightforward to reach Thornicroft Lodge by road with a 4x4. Road conditions can be checked before hand with the lodge.
The road trip from Lusaka takes about 12 hours, and from Lilongwe about 5 – 6 hours. Both journeys pass through Chipata in Zambia. The last 3 hours of the journey between Mfuwe and Chipata is not on a tarred road.
From Chipata to Thornicroft Lodge
The drive is about 3 or 4 hours depending of type of vehicle and time of year
- Follow your chosen route to Chipata. In Chipata keep on following the road until you go under an arch (near the Total petrol station). The road at some point will become a dirt track, but just continue onwards
- After about 60 to 65 km / 37 - 40 miles you turn left – there will be several road signs from ZAWA and other lodges telling you to turn left. You are half way to Thornicroft Lodge
- Follow the road and after about 50km / 31 miles you will find a sign post to the left saying “Zawa - South Luangwa National Park”. Turn left here
- This road goes to the airport. From the junction to the airport it is about 5km / 3 miles and from there you will find tarmac all the way to the gate of the park. Thornicroft is about 16km / 10 miles from the airport
- Drive straight on from the airport until you go through Mfuwe town (you will see the petrol station on your left side). After 200 metres / 656 feet, on the right you will find a sign post “Thornicroft”, turn right here
- After 25 meters / 82 feet turn right again (follow the second sign post)
- Now follow the road for about 200 metres / 656 feet, cross a small bridge and after 100 meters / 328 feet you will enter Thornicroft
- At the gate turn left, and follow the road all the way to the Main Building