This 7-day luxury Victoria Falls and Hwange safari is all about big water, big game and small intimate lodge accommodation. Experience the rumble of Africa’s main attraction - the mighty Victoria Falls, then fly into Hwange National Park where the elephants are the stars of the show.
Luxury Victoria Falls and Hwange Safari Experience
Besides the ever incredible Victoria falls and all of that iconic game viewing in Hwange National Park, your accommodation on this safari will be one of your biggest highlights. These two private lodges have been carefully hand-picked to reward you with an exceptional experience no short of the ultimate in comfort and luxury. Starting out on the Zambian side, you will have ample time to explore the wonders of Victoria Falls on a guided tour, along with a breathtaking sunset river cruises along the Zambezi River.
Expect plenty of relaxation time in and around your rhino trekking and 4x4 game drives in Mosi-Oa-Tunya National park. Onwards to the Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe, it is all about those incredible variations in wildlife, best appreciated on thrilling 4x4 game drives. However, if you find that 7-days is not quite enough, this itinerary is fully customisable and proves a great add-on to South Africa and Botswana.
Victoria Falls and Hwange Safari Highlights
- Personalised service minus the crowds while staying at two small and intimate safari lodges
- No frills travel, fully inclusive of all meals, drinks, transfers, inter-camp flights and activities
- Trek rhino and other wildlife on foot
- Incredible game viewing year round
- Embark on thrilling 4x4 game drives in the Mosi-Oa-Tunya and Hwange National Park
- Visit a local community and learn about their heritage, customs and day to day life
- Experience the famous Victoria Falls waterfalls during a guided tour
- Enjoy a breathtaking sunset during a river cruise on the Zambezi River
- Ample relaxation time as you watch birds and animals saunter by
- Gourmet meals paired with some excellent South African wines
Day 1: Near to the Water
The area surrounding Victoria Falls offers a plethora of activities to keep you busy for days, from swimming, rafting, bungee jumping and zip lining. However, you can easily set your own pace on this 7-day luxury Victoria Falls and Hwange safari.
As you arrive in Livingstone, you will have plenty of time to settle into your fully inclusive luxury lodge. Thorntree River Lodge will be your exclusive haven over the next 3 nights, where you can relax in your own private plunge pool and dabble in some wildlife viewing over the Zambezi River- crisp G&T in hand.
Meander out on a sunset cruise and catch a glimpse of the local hippos as they grunt and wallow in the cool water. Keep your camera close at hand, as the lighting at this time of the day is picture-perfect for snapping up some iconic panorama shots.
Day 2 - 3: Culture and Cruises
Highly rated and recommended by our Destination Specialists, Thorntree River Lodge is in close proximity to the Victoria Falls and Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park, which makes getting around an absolute breeze.
Over the next two days, you will indulge in some local culture with an immersive experience within a local community, along with finally getting up close to Victoria Falls on the Zambian side for a guided tour.
This massive sheet of falling water and the spray it produces is mesmerizing, to say the least. There will be no shortage of added thrill a game drive in the Mosi-Oa Tunya National Park paired with rhino trekking on foot led by an experienced tracker-guide.
End your days with those incredible sunset cruises, along with spectacular outdoor dining (and perhaps a nightcap or two) on the sunken boma back at the lodge.
Day 4: Hwange: The Land of Elephants
After one last morning activity in Zambia, you will be taken via a private road transfer from Livingstone to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, to catch a light aircraft transfer to Hwange National Park. Hwange is known as the land of giants for its big elephant herds, so look out for them on your short transfer by road to Somalisa Camp. Thankfully they’re not the most petite animals and are easy to spot.
Just wait till you see your luxury accommodation in Hwange. For 3 nights you can enjoy an extremely high level of comfort in the land of elephants. Somalisa is tucked away on a camelthorn acacia island on the edge of a watercourse, which draws in a plethora of game to its sweet grazing and thirst-quenching waterholes.
Day 5 - 6: Wildlife, Water Pans and Woodlands
It’s all about the wildlife over your next two days. Designated as a national park in 1928, Hwange is one of the oldest on the continent and the largest in Zimbabwe. Its landscape is made up of deep Kalahari sand, patches of mopane woodland and water-filled pans- a source of life for over 100 mammal species.
During the dry winter months (May to October) the wildlife congregates around the shallow pans and man-made water holes making for excellent and reliable game viewing. While out on 4x4 game drives, the chance is high to see endangered species such as black rhino, wild dog, roan and sable antelopes, along with elephant, buffalo, roan, giraffe, wildebeest, impala and gemsbok. Night drives will reveal smaller nocturnal predators - civet cats, African owls and bat-eared foxes.
Day 7: Flying Back to the Falls
It might be the last day of your luxury Victoria Falls and Hwange safari but there’s still enough time for one last safari game drive. If you are lucky enough to catch a glimpse an animal you might have missed on earlier activities.
After breakfast, you will fly back to Victoria Falls airport via charter aircraft. If you have a late flight home in the afternoon, we can easily swap out the flight for a scenic private road transfer back to Victoria Falls, which will really allow you to make the most of your last day.
- Road transfer from Livingstone airport to your accommodation in Livingstone
- Road transfer from Livingstone to Victoria Falls
- Return light aircraft flights from Victoria Falls to Hwange
- Return road transfers from airport to Hwange safari lodge
- 3 nights’ luxury accommodation in Livingstone within the Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park
- 3 nights’ luxury accommodation inside the Hwange National Park
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner
- Local branded drinks including teas and coffees, bottled water, fruit juices, soft drinks, spirits, beers and wines
- Sunset cruise on the Zambezi
- Guided tour of the Victoria Falls (Zambia side)
- 4x4 game drives in open safari vehicle in the Mosi-Oa-Tunya and Hwange National Park
- Guided bush walks in Hwange National Park
- Cultural tours of local villages
- Seasonal fishing on a catch and release basis
- Select park and conservation fees
- Premium and imported branded drinks
- Mosi-Oa Tunya National Park entry fees (approx. USD 30 per person)
- Optional activities and all other extras to be settled direct