Damaraland in Namibia boasts wide open spaces, rock formations like Spitzkoppe or the Brandberg Massiv and desert adapted African wildlife.
About Damaraland, Namibia
Elephants of Damaraland
Damaraland, Namibia (North)
- Highlights: Spitzkoppe and Erongo Mountain Caves, Brandberg Massif, Bushmen rock art at Twyfelfontein, the Organ Pipes (Vingerklip), the Petrified Forest, Tropic of Capricorn, highly adaptive animals and plants and flying over the desert in Namibia
- Activities: visit Twyfelfontein rock art, go on animal tracking safaris, walk around Spitzkoppe, climb the Brandberg Massif, visit a petrified forest
Damaraland is a different kind of wilderness in Namibia with spectacular wide open spaces interrupted by mountains and ancient craters that hide many pre-historic treasures. It's hot and dry and seemingly without life, yet San Bushmen lived here for thousands of years leaving amazing
Rock Art at Twyfelfontein
for the world to see - one of the most extensive collections ever found
In this part of northern Namibia, you can observe the intense colours of nature, find out what a Petrified Forest looks like and see fantastic rock formations that are millions of years old. You can also climb the Brandberg Massif
, Namibia's highest mountain, take a hot air balloon ride or stay on the ground and track some of nature's most exceptional animals.
An animal tracking safari in Damaraland, Namibia
, follows Desert Elephant and Black Rhino, just two of an array of creatures and plants that have adapted to the extreme climate and terrain. On various trails and expeditions you can enjoy a unique sense of freedom and adventure in one of the least accessible parts of northern Namibia.
- Visit Bushman Rock Art sites at Twyfelfontein
- Explore Spitzkoppe
- Enjoy guided animal tracking safaris
- See a Petrified Forest
- Marvel at the Organ Pipes and Vingerklip
- Stop for a photo at the Tropic of Capricorn
Click here for more info on Damaraland activities