The Waterberg Plateau north of Windhoek in Namibia offers scenic hikes, wonderful wilderness and African wildlife in the Waterberg Plateau National Park.
Waterberg Plateau, Namibia (North)
- Highlights: Waterberg Plateau and National Park, Herero people
- Activities: Go on scenic walks and hikes, enjoy game drives in the Waterberg Plateau National Park, view endangered wildlife, meet the Herero people, explore historic and archaeological sites
Made from compressed red sandstone, the Waterberg Plateau
in Namibia rises up out of the Kalahari plains, mysterious and ancient and often called a "lost Eden". Animals on top can't get down and the sheer sides are almost inaccessible. This massive plateau fed by natural springs is a lush haven for endangered wildlife and uncommon flora.
Located just north of Windhoek, Namibia's capital, the Waterberg Plateau and surroundings are ideal for a stopover en-route to Etosha, Caprivi
or Bushmanland. This historic area has marked the passage of time with fascinating sites. You can see pre-historic dinosaur prints, petrified dunes and San rock engravings. The local military cemetery is a reminder of a terrible tragedy in the history of the Herero people.
The Waterberg Plateau National Park
can be explored on fabulous walks and hikes and guided game drives - the views from the top are spectacular! Nearby you can enjoy a cultural visit to a Herero village and also go on Cheetah and Leopard safaris.Okonjima
offers luxury lodge as well as camping Waterberg Plateau accommodation options and is home to the Africat Foundation which rescues and rehabilitates Leopard and Cheetah.
Activities at Waterberg Plateau in Namibia
- See wonderful scenery on walks and hikes on the Waterberg Plateau
- View Endangered wildlife at Waterberg Plateau National Park
- Discover ancient history and vibrant Herero culture
Click here for more info on Waterberg Plateau activities