Packing For Your Safari
The essential thing to remember is to travel light!
Be Certain to Have with You:
- Valid passport
- Valid visa - if required
- One other picture identification (e.g. driver's licence)
- Photocopy of passport page to carry in wallet
- Air tickets
- Expense money
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance Policy
Dressing for Safaris
On safari, most people wear shorts and a T-shirt during the day and put on long sleeved shirts and long pants in the evening for warmth as well as protection from mosquitoes. Should you be particularly sensitive to the sun a loose cotton shirt is essential during the day. Khaki, brown, olive and beige colours are best for safaris and game walks.
White is not a suitable colour for these activities, as it increases your visibility to wildlife you want to get a closer look at and it will get dirty very quickly. Fleece or sweater and a windbreaker for game drives, because it is highly possible that you may go out on a hot day, but be faced with a chill evening on your return. Remember that layering your clothing will keep you warmer than relying on one thick item.
Packing for a Safari
- 2 pairs khaki cotton pants
- 2 pairs khaki shorts
- 2 long sleeved shirts/ blouses (for sun protection as well as warmth)
- 1 light sweater or sweatshirt
- 1 lightweight, waterproof windbreaker
- Swimming costume
- Sturdy walking or hiking boots
- 3-5 short-sleeved shirts or T-shirts
- 5 changes underwear and socks
- Hat with a brim (baseball caps might cover your nose but not your ears and neck)
- Gloves (if you really feel the cold)
- Down vest or jacket (if you really feel the cold)
- A sarong or kikoi type garment
- Most lodges and safari camps offer laundry as part of their service. Hotels all offer laundry, at additional cost.
Light Aircraft: Luggage Weight Restriction NoticeIf part of your itinerary includes light aircraft flights, there are serious weight restrictions. You are usually restricted to 10 or 12kg (22 or 26 lbs), per person, in a soft bag. Storage space in a light aircraft is at a premium, and the pilot may refuse to take on bulky or excessive luggage.
Alternatively, if you need to carry more luggage than the restriction amount, this can be arranged, with your consultant. AT THE TIME OF BOOKING YOUR TRIP.
Additional cost for your account will apply at the time you make payment.
The most common aircraft types used for charter work are Cessna 206 or 210, and Cessna 208 Caravans. Slightly larger aircraft are often used in East Africa, but luggage is still restricted. A small amount of hand luggage and camera equipment is generally allowed.
- Toilet kit including shampoo and soap
- Insect repellent
- Good quality sunglasses plus protective case
- Hand wipes or 'Baby wipes'
- Stuff-sacks or plastic packets; to compartmentalise items within your travel bag
- Repair kit: needle and thread, nylon cord, rip-stop tape
- Camera, film or memory card
- Spare batteries. Film and batteries can generally be obtained at lodges, but at a price of course, so please be sure to have sufficient supplies for your needs
- Paperback reading, writing material (keep weight at a minimum)
- Sunscreen or block
- Moisturizer, lip balm
- Personal first-aid kit (headache pills, antihistamine cream etc)
- Large towel and washcloth (thin, quick-drying) - if required for camping/overland safari
If you take prescription medication, be sure to bring a sufficient supply with you. If you are on a lengthy holiday, we suggest that you carry a copy of your prescription with you.
Luggage for a Mobile Camping Safari>For Safari travel, the best type of luggage to bring is a soft bag, or backpack with an internal frame. As packing space in safari vehicles is limited, only one bag is allowed, but you should also have a day-pack for all of your personal items/camera/binoculars.
Hard suitcases are bulky and inappropriate for a game safari, and advised against.Remember that the charter pilot has the final say in terms of taking the luggage and you will be responsible for costs should your luggage need to be forwarded for you, or should an extra aircraft be required for transportation.
Enquiries / Questions